The traditional buckwheat galette (a type of pancake)
The galette saucisse (sausage wrapped in a savoury galette)is a very important part of everyday food in Upper Brittany and is the takeaway food for every occasion including markets, festivals and sports events.
However, there are many other simple fillings for a galette - here are just a few:
- la complète: add a slice of ham, some grated cheese and an egg
- thin slices of andouille (smoked chitterling sausage) on a bed of pan-fried apple,
- scallops on a bed of finely chopped leek cooked in butter
- a slice of smoked salmon, cream and chives
- foie gras and fig jam …
Mix the ingredients until smooth, then beat for 10 minutes.
Grease the crêpière (pancake pan) with a cotton cloth soaked in oil. Pour on a ladle of batter, spread and wait for the underside to brown before turning it over with a spatula. Cook for a bout another minute.
- 250 g flour,
- 500 ml water
- 1 tbs coarse salt
- 1 egg, if desired (makes the batter easier to spread)